Astroneer Server Support - Can't connect to host

Field Value
OS Name/Version Proxmox 8.2.4 host, with Ubuntu 24.04 server with AMP installed (CubeCoders)
AMP Release Callisto v2.5.1.8, built 17/09/2024
Product Name/Version Astroneer config commit 364f658
Virtualization Docker
Application Astroneer
Module MinecraNoneftModule
Running in Container Yes
Current State Running

Problem Description:
I have created an Astroneer server in the AMP console, to play the game with friends.
The server is not online through local-network IP, but it is through public IP.
When trying to connect, I get an error is

Steps to reproduce:

• Create astroneer instances
  • Start instance and wait for download
  • Add the server through you Public IP

Test actions taken to try to resolve the problem:

• changing the game port from 8777 to 7777
  • changing container image to cubecoders/ampbase:wine
  • turn off “Run in Docker Container” > this resulting is not starting of the Astroneer instance
  • add “net.AllowEncryption=False” to local Engine.ini settings
  • Setting up the Promox host in DMZ of Router
  • Turned off firewall of Proxmox and Ubuntu server.

Things I have checked:

The Astroneer client can only connect using the public IP. If you are trying to connect to your server on the same network using the public IP but can’t, you likely have a NAT hairpin/loopback issue.

I had to look it up what is mean. The following is correct? “hairpin NAT allows you to run a server inside your network but address it as if you were outside your network

The Ubuntu machine that has default a loopback interface installed. Not sure how now to solve NAT hairpin/loopback issue. A solution that I found was created DNS override?. I did found this post and double check all the suggestions. Do you have any idea what to check to resolve this?

This is a router issue. And DNS won’t help, since Astroneer can’t resolve domain names. You will need to look at your router manual.

Will check the router manual now, for NAT things.

Oke to check what is happening, I added Pfsense in between the route and AMP server. So I can check if the request is getting received. So now it is: Router with DMZ settings > Proxmox > Pfsense with port forwarding > AMP server in different network then game pc.

When trying to connect, i dont see the request coming in on port 8777 with tcpdump https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngwae1UvS-Q < following this guide

Edit/Update
Follow up. I did the testing and result was that no entry was present when trying to connect. Seem that no connection is being made to Pfsense, so router problem wouldn’t be far-off.
Second, i check the technical documention of Router and there is no mention of hairpin of loopback. Under NAT topic there was some information about DMZ.

A Demarcation Zone or Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) creates a publicly accessible subnetwork behind your firewall. Configuring a DMZ rule allows you to add public services to your WAN without compromising the overall security of your network.

Also did found more site, where this problem is described. But solution is not as easy is seems

Also checked the astroneer documentation, but that has no troubleshoot section Astroneer Host Your Own Dedicated Server Set Up Details! – Astroneer Blog

I did found a merge request for Astroneer server config, @Greelan do you need anything. So the merge can come out of draft Various: add public IP selector setting by Greelan · Pull Request #822 · CubeCoders/AMPTemplates · GitHub ?