Fresh installation, docker no longer works

Note - If you do not fill in every section below, your post won’t be answered - you must provide the steps you have followed so far and the actions you’ve already taken. Make sure to remove this notice from your post too.

OS Name/Version: Ubuntu Server 22.04

Product Name/Version: 2.4.1.2

Problem Description:
After reinstalling I always get “Startup failure: Docker returned error code 1”. No matter the game. Running docker manually returns no issues

20:16:10

Using cached archive: /home/amp/.ampdata/instances/AMPCache-Mainline-2412.zip

20:16:12

[Info] AMPStart for Docker - v22.08.1
[Info] Performing first-time container setup...
usermod: user 'amp' does not exist
[Info] Container setup complete.
su: user amp does not exist or the user entry does not contain all the required fields

20:16:13

Failed to configure new instance Waterfall01 - Startup failure: Docker returned error code 1
Configuration Failed: Startup failure: Docker returned error code 1
Create Instance Failed: Startup failure: Docker returned error code 1

Steps to reproduce:

• Install amp with docker and complete first-time setup
  • Try to create or start any Instance with docker enabled

Actions taken to resolve so far:

Additional information:
Before the update docker instances worked fine
PS: I can supply root ssh access for the support. I would need the public ssh-key of the person diagnosing the issue (the mashine is dedicated to amp and since the reinstallation there is no data present that could be lost (or accessed).

Same issue here. Other game instances like Satisfactory or Among Us can be created but not started - unfortunately with no log output whatsoever inside the instance.

Log when Minecraft docker instance is created:

22:33:04
Using cached archive: /home/amp/.ampdata/instances/AMPCache-Mainline-2412.zip

22:33:05
[Info] AMPStart for Docker - v22.08.1
[Info] Performing first-time container setup...
usermod: user 'amp' does not exist
[Info] Container setup complete.
su: user amp does not exist or the user entry does not contain all the required fields
Failed to configure new instance Minecraft02 - Startup failure: Docker returned error code 1
Configuration Failed: Startup failure: Docker returned error code 1
Create Instance Failed: Startup failure: Docker returned error code 1

Log when I start any other docker instance:

22:34:39
:admin
16c40a99e974cdf1b5fce9bd689e1a94622a8f4bf7a685bc9316ce904bd2c277

^this output varies from every new startup.
The instance shows it is starting, when I try to connect it shows that it is not running.

I tried to reinstall docker using this guide: How do I configure AMP to use Docker?, but that didn’t work either.

/e: non-docker instances work like a charm. :slight_smile:

There was a problem with the docker images. Try fetching the correct images as amp user with docker pull cubecoders/ampbase -a

Thanks, with that I can create the docker instances but the Minecraft Instance won’t start.

23:19:26
1d26e24c3a36707e111dce77cc7e5351b9def15130eebacea8543e79006324e4

Trying to connect gives following error:

Managed remote instance Minecraft02 at http://127.0.0.1:8082/
Authentication token for admin requested by ManageInstance on behalf of admin
23:19:27
Returned exception from API call ADSModule/Servers
SocketException
[0] (SocketException) : Connection refused

The Satisfactory instance seems like it’s working now.

Also now I’m getting this obscure log message every second:

23:20:53
xx.xxx.xxx.xxx/Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:108.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/108.0 tried to use session ID 84762a87-efda-443c-aa68-74250281069f - but no such ID exists while attempting to call GetUpdates

I also got a step further … docker: Error response from daemon: Conflict. The container name “/AMP_Waterfall01” is already in use by container “…”. You have to remove (or rename) that container to be able to reuse that name.

EDIT: and following that I’m at the same issue Snaggo has

It seems the Docker images may still have issues from what I’m seeing on my end and in support.

Is there any solution to this? I still cannot start a Minecraft docker instance. I verified that Satisfactory is working fine now so I guess the Minecraft image is broken?

You can try running docker pull cubecoders/ampbase -a (as root if Linux). Then restart the instance. If that doesn’t work, you can only make it outside of Docker for now.

Sadly that didn’t resolve the issue, but thanks for your help.
If any new information arises I will appreciate a quick response. :slight_smile:

The docker images should be good now. Run docker pull cubecoders/ampbase -a as root and restart the instance. If it still fails, try creating a new one.

1 Like

tried it and got an update for the images, the issue remains the same. (EDIT: instance doesn’t start, console display a [0] (SocketException) : Connection refused, I’m running AMP in standalone mode.)

Works fine for me now. Thank you!

Ok … weird things: I have to start the instance, which fails, then stop the instance (which is still displayed as running at this point), then start it again, click on manage, run again into the connection refused error, and then click on manage again for it to be accessible.

You might be able to right click and View Logs for that instance and verify it’s not an unrelated issue causing that.

if there was a log for “failed” start, but even that won’t be created. Only the second “successful” start creates a logfile.

And I can’t access the File Manager of the Instance, when it is “successfully” started … The folder does exist on the filesystem though … ReferenceError: URI is not defined

Again, I can provide ssh-root-access and amp-admin-access for debugging. (but for this evening I’m heading to bed now)

Update to the images this morning (2022-12-28 10:20 UTC): Now the docker Instances, again, don’t start at all

And why was there AGAIN a solution marked, while the issue is not resolved?! I have seen “overenthusiastic” support before, but this takes it to a new level …

So here a video of what I am doing on a fresh installation of ubuntu server 22.04.1 (I would have added the video faster, but apparently mp4 is not allowed and the webm conversion took a while, to then notice, that it needs to be less than 4MB …)

Run docker pull cubecoders/ampbase -a as root again. Mike found a rogue script that was re-updating the Docker images to older versions again. Makes sense now why it worked for some and then would stop again.

Yes, seems resolved now. File Manager also works now. Welp no it doesn’t, I have opened a separate thread for this “new” issue, as it seems to be unrelated to docker. Can't access file manager - #3 by Pingger