Connectivity Problem with ARK: Survival Ascended - Unable to find server in game browser

System Information

Field Value
Operating System Linux - Debian GNU/Linux 12 on x86_64
Product AMP ‘Callisto’ v2.5.0.14 (Mainline)
Virtualization QEMU_KVM
Application ARK: Survival Ascended
Module GenericModule
Running in Container No
Current State Ready

Problem Description

Issue

I created a Ark Survival Ascended server. I am use a proxmox server(Version 8.1.4) to run a Debian 12 VM and hosting the AMP application on that VM. I have changed my CPU type to ‘host’ as notated in this set up guide and run the appropriate commands. I made sure I have plenty of Ram and a powerful enough CPU. I was concerned it was something else so I started a random Valheim server and was able to connect to it immediately so I’m not sure what else I am missing.

Reproduction Steps

• Create Ark Survival Ascended Instance
  • Verify all ports are open
  • Run Debian/Linux specific commands from guide
  • Start Instance
  • Attempt to find server in in-game browser

Edit:
I was reading a different post and discovered I can connect to the server by using the console command: “open public-ip:7777”. I am now curious how I get my server listed in the in-game browser since I can connect to it just fine.

Edit2:
I did some more research and was able to find the server in the browser. The first thing I did was open the console and type “Ark.UseServerList 0”. You will need to enable the console in the settings and then make sure its bound to ` and you can then open the console on the main menu. The issue I was finding is the unreliability of the ark in-browser. I first named my server something that wasn’t common and then went to searching for it. I made sure I had “Show Password Protected Servers” and “Show Player Servers” checked (I wasn’t sure what this was as I am running a dedicated, unofficial server but whatever) and then typed the name of the server in to the search box and hit refresh until it showed up. It took 2 or 3 refreshes but I got it to show up! I then joined and it auto favorited the server and now I can just type the name of the server into the search box with “Show Password Protected Server” and it finds it much faster. After I type the server name in, I do have to click “Refresh” but that’s a small price to pay for it to actually work without issue. I hope my documenting my issues helps someone else down the road.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.