Startup Issue with Palworld - Cant launch palworld instance

System Information

Field Value
Operating System Linux - Debian GNU/Linux 12 on x86_64
Product AMP ‘Decadeus’ v2.4.7.0 (Mainline)
Virtualization VMware
Application Palworld
Module GenericModule
Running in Container No
Current State PreStart

Problem Description

Issue

I can’t launch the instance give this error :
AMP was unable to start the application. Possible causes may include insufficient permissions to load the executable, or the file not being correctly flagged as being an executable file. Check AMPs logs for more information.

Reproduction Steps

• Install debian
  • install AMP
  • create palworld instance

Log file :

[09:03:29] [Core Info] : Starting AMP version 2.4.7.0 (Decadeus), built 09/01/2024 03:40
[09:03:29] [Core Info] : Stream: Mainline / Release - built by CUBECODERS/buildbot on CCL-DEV
[09:03:29] [Logger Info] : Purging old audit logs (this may take a moment)…
[09:03:29] [Core Info] : Running in a VMware environment.
[09:03:29] [Core Warning] : Current time zone is set to +04 - It is recommended you switch to UTC+0 to avoid time-zone related issues
[09:03:29] [Core Info] : OS: Linux / x86_64
[09:03:29] [Core Info] : CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5675 @ 3.07GHz (6C/6T)
[09:03:29] [Core Info] : RAM: 30126MB
[09:03:29] [Core Info] : AMP Instance ID: 83af877e-dc54-48aa-9420-8cbd5920c5a8
[09:03:30] [Loader Info] : Loaded GenericModule version 1.0.0.0 by CubeCoders Limited
[09:03:30] [Core Info] : Metrics publishing is enabled at udp://localhost:12820.
[09:03:30] [Loader Info] : Loaded FileManagerPlugin by CubeCoders Limited
[09:03:30] [Loader Info] : Loaded EmailSenderPlugin by CubeCoders Limited
[09:03:30] [Loader Info] : Loaded WebRequestPlugin by CubeCoders Limited
[09:03:30] [Loader Info] : Loaded LocalFileBackupPlugin by CubeCoders Limited
[09:03:30] [Loader Info] : Loaded CommonCorePlugin by CubeCoders Limited
[09:03:30] [Loader Info] : GenericModule requests dependency steamcmdplugin…
[09:03:30] [Loader Info] : Loaded steamcmdplugin by CubeCoders Limited
[09:03:30] [Loader Info] : GenericModule requests dependency RCONPlugin…
[09:03:30] [Loader Info] : Loaded RCONPlugin by CubeCoders Limited
[09:03:30] [Core Warning] : No such setting node: GenericModule.App.Ports. - maybe the relevant plugin/module isn’t loaded?
[09:03:30] [Core Info] : Licence Present: AMP Professional Edition
[09:03:35] [FileManager Notice] : Using keypair with fingerprint tv9fAm557/2yGO8rjDhgwXbsH9dAGrsmQDtc1usUK50=
[09:03:35] [FileManager Info] : SFTP Server started on 0.0.0.0:2224
[09:03:35] [Webserver Info] : Websockets are enabled.
[09:03:35] [Webserver Info] : Webserver started on http://0.0.0.0:8081
[09:03:35] [Logger Info] : RouterTimer@10Hz with 2 jobs started
[09:03:35] [Core Info] : Checking for AMP updates…
[09:03:35] [Core Info] : Startup mode is StartApplication.
[09:03:39] [Generic Info] : Merging config file ./palworld/2394010/Pal/Saved/Config/WindowsServer/PalWorldSettings.ini (Template) using Unicode (UTF-8) encoding.
[09:03:39] [Core Error] : ArgumentNullException
[09:03:39] [Core Error] : [0] (ArgumentNullException) : Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: input
[09:03:39] [Core Error] : at Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Replace (String input, Text.RegularExpressions.MatchEvaluator evaluator)
at GenericModule.GenericModuleConfig+ApplicationConfig.SubstituteTemplates (String input, Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue] variables)
at GenericModule.GenericModuleConfig+ApplicationConfig.GetValue (String input)
at GenericModule.ModuleMain.b__36_0 (Text.RegularExpressions.Match m)
at Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Replace (Text.RegularExpressions.MatchEvaluator evaluator, Text.RegularExpressions.Regex regex, String input, Int32 count, Int32 startat)
at Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Replace (String input, Text.RegularExpressions.MatchEvaluator evaluator, Int32 count, Int32 startat)
at Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Replace (String input, Text.RegularExpressions.MatchEvaluator evaluator)
at GenericModule.ModuleMain.MergeTemplate (String finalPath, GenericModule.MetaConfigFile fileInfo)
at GenericModule.ModuleMain.MergeConfigFile (String finalPath, GenericModule.MetaConfigFile fileInfo)
at GenericModule.ModuleMain.WriteMetaconfigs ()
at GenericModule.ModuleMain.SaveChanges (String key, String value)
at GenericModule.GenericApp.DoAppStartup (Boolean IsUpdating)
at GenericModule.GenericApp.Start ()
[09:03:40] [Core Info] : AMP is up to date.
[09:08:16] [Core:Anonymous Warning] : Access denied: You do not have permission to use this method (GSMyAdmin.WebServer.GetDiagnosticsInfo) at this time. This method requires the Session.Exists permission. (Origin: 127.0.0.1)
[09:08:18] [Core:Anonymous Warning] : Access denied: You do not have permission to use this method (GSMyAdmin.WebServer.GetDiagnosticsInfo) at this time. This method requires the Session.Exists permission. (Origin: 127.0.0.1)
[09:08:26] [Core Activity] : Authentication attempt for user admin from 127.0.0.1
[09:08:26] [Core Activity] : Authentication success

Adding to this, I am getting the exact same error on Windows Server 2019, I also spun up a new Server 2019 vm to test with the same issue. I did get this to work on an Ubuntu 22.04 desktop vm on the same hypervisor.

I spun up a test repo for the templates and changed palworldmetaconfig.json from using “ConfigType”:“template” to “ConfigType”:“ini” and it seems to have cleared the issue on my Windows machines for the error and it will spin up now. I still needed to manually create the PalWorldSettings.ini in the WindowServer and LinuxServer directories with settings from DefaultPalWorldSettings.ini and then configure each setting as something (Likely a permissions issue) is stopping the update script from applying the settings to the files. I also had to change “Allow user-defined passwords” in Security and Privacy then set a password for “Remote Admin Password” then put the password in the AdminPassword of the ini files to get the rcom working and have the server report as running rather than starting.

@Greelan I see you added the Palworld commit. I know you are likely not staff but am hoping you have some insight into this or can add some details on how you made the config and environments you tested. For some reason it seems to be working fine on Ubuntu Desktop with the template but Windows Server and Debian have issues with anything to do with the ini file. At launch the ini files do not exist in the Window or Linux folder so it is clear they are not being created, so the server defaults to the defaults file. Even if I create the ini files it claims to merge correctly but nothing changes in them but all of this seems to work fine on Ubuntu Desktop.

2 Likes

I’d assume your generic template config repos are not up to date and therefore AMP is not pulling the right files on instance creation

I tested a freshly installed Debian, and the issue persists. However, on a freshly installed Ubuntu, there are no problems. All of this was on the same virtual machine.

It seems there is an issue with Debian, perhaps a dependency problem? However, with Ubuntu, the server works without any issues.

i have it tested with debian 12 and ubuntu 23 server and have the same error on start.
i think the problem is in the configuration of the linux part “cannot be null” , and that is the reason why a normal ini file is working.

[10:50:22] [Core:admin Error] : ArgumentNullException
[10:50:22] [Core:admin Error] : [0] (ArgumentNullException) : Value cannot be null.

2:52:55] [Core:admin Error] : at Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Replace (String input, Text.RegularExpressions.MatchEvaluator evaluator)
at GenericModule.GenericModuleConfig+ApplicationConfig.SubstituteTemplates (String input, Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue] variables)
at GenericModule.GenericModuleConfig+ApplicationConfig.GetValue (String input)
at GenericModule.ModuleMain.b__36_0 (Text.RegularExpressions.Match m)
at Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Replace (Text.RegularExpressions.MatchEvaluator evaluator, Text.RegularExpressions.Regex regex, String input, Int32 count, Int32 startat)
at Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Replace (String input, Text.RegularExpressions.MatchEvaluator evaluator, Int32 count, Int32 startat)
at Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.Replace (String input, Text.RegularExpressions.MatchEvaluator evaluator)
at GenericModule.ModuleMain.MergeTemplate (String finalPath, GenericModule.MetaConfigFile fileInfo)
at GenericModule.ModuleMain.MergeConfigFile (String finalPath, GenericModule.MetaConfigFile fileInfo)
at GenericModule.ModuleMain.WriteMetaconfigs ()
at GenericModule.ModuleMain.SaveChanges (String key, String value)
at GenericModule.GenericApp.DoAppStartup (Boolean IsUpdating)
at GenericModule.GenericApp.Start ()

So good and bad news. looks like 2.4.7 is busted on Debian 12 and Server 2019 for the way the templates for Palworld work. I can make 2.4.7 work on Debian and Server 2019 with the change to the template I mentioned but it will not merge the GUI changes into the config files, that is 100% manual.

After a bunch of testing I can confirm that 2.4.8 which was release this morning is working as expected for Palworld on Server 2019, Debian 12 and Ubuntu 22.04.

Now the bad news, I have to actual work instead of mess with this :frowning:

I have the same problem running a Docker container of AMP on Unraid. AMP v2.4.8, built 25/01/2024 01:11.

Edit: Fetching the latest configuration repositories as Greelan suggested appears to have resolved my issue.

Sadly you are likely going to have to reach out to the person that made the container. Running AMP in a container is unsupported and likely there are other permission issues you will run into.

I’m seeing that after migrating my save data to the dedicated server, the server starts, but never realizes that it’s running, so the webui constantly has the starting notification up.

Just adding I also see the same “Forever starting” state on the palworld instance.

Ubuntu 22.02
AMP v2.4.8

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.