Risk of Rain 2 on Linux does not launch in Docker

Sorry to make another thread. I tried to post a reply on the old thread (here), but it does not allow me and gives me the message Please wait for other users to participate before replying. I will fill out the relevant information again anyway.

OS Name/Version: Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS

Product Name/Version: AMP v2.3.2.8

Problem Description:

Risk of Rain 2 server will not launch on Linux while in Docker. The game will update fine, but will not launch in Docker. When attempting to launch in Docker, it will just try to install again and not launch. It launches with the ampbase image, which is devoid of xvfb and python3. I thought this would change in the next (this) update.

Steps to reproduce:

• Create Risk of Rain 2 instance (with Docker enabled)
  • Start application instance
  • Update application
  • Start application

Actions taken to resolve so far:

• I have recreated the instance after updating to AMP v2.3.2.8.
  • I have ensure the latest Docker images are pulled.
  • When updating, I used “–nocache” option.
  • As a workaround, I have manually installed xvfb and python3 in the Docker instance, but that just results in Failed to create batch mode window: Success. appearing in the console with no launch.

Thanks in advance.

The configuration author hasn’t updated the configuration to have the Docker metadata. The place to request that they do this would be here: Issues · CubeCoders/AMPTemplates · GitHub

We’ve made a Docker image with xvfb/python3 available for this - but it’s still up to the configuration authors/maintainers to make use of this.

Mike and I were working together to build an updated Docker image, but the latest version is missing a dependency still. Trying to determine what that is so it can be used.

I FINALLY got it working! Expect a Pull Request on GitHub tomorrow. :slight_smile:

Is it possible to drop the configuration file in to the current version of AMP, or are there more updates outside of the configuration required (such as to AMP itself and/or Docker images)?

It will work in the current version of AMP. I’ll provide full steps once I have a pull request created on GH.

Docker PR:

1. In the PR “View” each file
  2. Right click “Raw” and Save Link As to download.
  3. In ADS File Manager navigate to (ADS Instance Name)/Plugins/ADSModule/GenericTemplates and place the file here
  4. From CMD/Terminal run ampinstmgr -r (ADS Instance Name)
  5. Create your new instance! (Preferably in a docker container)

Thanks for posting.

I know it’s a WIP, but there are a couple things I’ve noticed so far:

• Usage stats do not reflect real usage (not a massive deal)
  • Attempting to stop the server results in it continuing to run - AMP is satisfied it is closed, but the process for the game server and xvfb says otherwise
  • Active Users appears to mostly work, but it does not seem to update if a player leaves the game (at least while solo, doesn’t update until the lobby is joined again)

However, so far, everything else appears to be OK.

Thank you for the feedback!

1 and 2 are known bugs with AMP and issues are open for them.

3 is an issue with the game server actually. They changed the messages that display when a user joins/leaves and it’s… flakey at best. It no longer displays a user name for AMP to use either. So it’s mostly just there for tracking the number of users and even that isn’t accurate. I assume the changes were due to cross-play network changes, but it’s for the worse.

Also note that if you have cross-play enabled client-side it may not load properly. I couldn’t get past the lobby screen and was missing all kinds of stuff. Their server is definitely beta still. :slight_smile:

By the way, the latest release has the new version. 1 and 2 are fixed in it as well!

Thanks for the heads up. You are referring to v2.3.3.4 or a nightly build. I have updated to the former.

It appears issue 2 is not fixed yet, at least while running in Docker. I updated via apt, and updated to the latest version on existing instances using the nocache option. Once instance is stopped (which stops the Docker instance), it obvious terminates.

As for issue 1, still seem to be having it. Again, I am in Docker.

Try running docker pull CubeCoders/ampbase:wine and make a new instance. I’ll double check it made it in the update for sure.

Err… The changes are gone. It will run in docker but maybe I forgot to upload the changes to RoR for the metrics. Oof.