ADS is not starting and not generating a log

Note - If you do not fill in every section below, your post won’t be answered - you must provide the steps you have followed so far and the actions you’ve already taken. Make sure to remove this notice from your post too.

OS Name/Version: Windows 10 pro Build 19045

Product Name/Version: v2.4.0.10 built 27/10/2022

Problem Description:
I had to re-install my OS due to corrupt/Missing Files in System32 and was able to do so without removing any user data. I installed the Amp Instance manager for windows(With a domain admin user, not local admin), it found my old AMP instances and I tried starting them with nothing happening (Not even the amp log).

Actions taken to resolve so far:
The “If its broke on windows try this” post (Several times)
Suspending and then Unsuspending the instance
Set Monitoring.LogLevel = 0
Reactivated all instances
Ran ReconfigureMultiple *

And other things I am sure that I forgot. And the only logs generated were “ConfigOnly” logs. My event viewer shows that the process starts and stops and I get the UAC control popup.

How to Reproduce:

1. Do a repair install on windows without removing user data
  2. Re-install AMP instance manager
  3. Attempt to start ADS01

This thread probably applies: Something not working on Windows? Try the following:

I followed the directions in that post with no luck. That was the first place I went since I have had issues with windows before (I know AMP works better on Linux, but Empyrion plays better on windows). I run the ‘ampinstmgr --nocache --debug upgradeall’ and confirm that it is downloading a new copy. It says ‘[Debug] Downloading https://cubecoders.com/Downloads/Release/AMP_Latest_Release.zip, saving to C:\Users[redacted]\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp81D0.tmp’
I do a restart of the system and no change in behavior

What happens if you try and just run amp.exe for the ADS instance manually?

It started with the attached screenshot in the console.

If you start it normally, do you get anything in the system event log? I can’t see anything obviously wrong but it’s impossible to tell what’s up if the system has had some kind of damage.

Nothing stands out in the System log in eventvwr. At this time the damaged OS install is fixed, fully updated, and running on a shiny new NVMe drive. But if AMP doesn’t play nice with the install path I took, is there a way for me to wipe the AMP install/ADS01 and rebuild it without loosing my game install? If I need to do a full wipe its fine since I was sure to have 3 different backups of the last save state, but it would be much more convenient to not have to re-install Empyrion and move over reforged eden (Mod).

1. Stop ADS and using the GUI, remove the service from the ADS instance.
  2. Backup your entire AMPDatastore directory somewhere safe (Renaming it also works)
  3. Reboot
  4. Run ampinstmgr quickstart as your AMP user.
  5. Verify that ADS is accessible
  6. Stop ADS again
  7. Copy back over the instances from the backup installation except ADS
  8. Run ampinstmgr repair
  9. Start ADS again

In the case of a controller/Target setup is there an extra step to delete the old ADS instance in the controller web Interface?

Is the instance that’s failing a controller or a target?

The target. My controller is safe and happy on ubuntu (AMP is happier on Linux in my experience)

Simply remove the target from the controller then and it’ll get re-added as before when you run the setup on the new ADS instance.

ADS is back up and connected to my main instance!!!

But progress usually means a new error… which is below

Ah okay, stop the ADS instance and edit the Instances.json file - and change the instance owners to GAMEHOST$

I was able to get into the ADS instance and it looks like I am just having problems getting the game server started (But I can fix that). Thank you very much for your help mike, AMP is a great product and keep up the good work. Below is a summary of the fix incase anyone comes across this post in the future.

Steps for final Fix:

1. Stop ADS and using the GUI, remove the service from the ADS instance.
  2. Backup your entire AMPDatastore directory somewhere safe (Renaming it also works)
  3. Reboot
  4. Run ampinstmgr quickstart as your AMP user.
    4.5 (Depends on setup) Delete the target from your controller instance.
  5. Verify that ADS is accessible
  6. Stop ADS again
  7. Copy back over the instances from the backup installation except ADS
  8. Run ampinstmgr repair
  9. Start ADS again

If any of your instances respond with “Unable to start instance” from a controller/target setup follow the extra below steps

1. Shut down ADS and any running instance on your target ampinstmgr -o
  2. Modify the Instances.json file and change the user of the instance to the “Application is running as” user in the error
  3. Restart ADS and away you go to the next error