Valheim server not accessible

OS Name/Version: Debian 11 x64
Product Name/Version: v2.4.0.6, built 30/09/2022 14:12

Problem Description:

I have created a brand new server on Digital Ocean. Server specs are as follows -

• 2 GB Memory
  • 2 Intel vCPUs
  • 60 GB Disk
  • SFO3
  • Debian 11 x64

I followed the simple installation instructions to get AMP up and running. Based on another support ticket I saw, it was recommended to use the docker instances configuration, so I have it set up with that.

Once the configuration was complete, I created a vanilla Valheim server. The only change in the initial creation of the instance was I gave it a friendly name, “Jesterworld”. The instance is using the default port (2456), but it looks like AMP added a couple more ports to the config during creation.

I did change some configuration of the valheim instance to enable crossplay and disable sleep mode. We are mostly playing on XBOX. I did notice in the logs when it was starting up that it didn’t output a code to use to connect instead of the server IP or domain.

Having watched the console for quite some time, it seems like there’s an issue with PlayFab. It keeps connecting and disconnecting over and over.

Even though it’s set to show in the public listing, I’m not seeing it listed for whatever reason. Additionally, when I try to put in the IP address and port or the domain name and port it shows the server as offline.

Actions taken to resolve so far:

I checked the port firewall setup via the command line, and I’m seeing that the main port (2456) is showing as closed. Is that correct? How do I open that port up so it’s accessible?

ampinstmgr ports Jesterworld01
[Info] AMP Instance Manager v2.4.0.6 built 30/09/2022 14:13
[Info] Release spec: Release - built by CUBECODERS/buildbot on CCL-DEV
[Info] Port usage for Jesterworld01 (Jesterworld)
[Info] Instance is currently running.
[Info] LISTENING        8081    TCP     (Core.Webserver.Port)
[Info] LISTENING        2224    TCP     (FileManagerPlugin.SFTP.SFTPPortNumber)
[Info] CLOSED           2456    Both    (GenericModule.App.ApplicationPort1)
[Info] LISTENING        2457    Both    (GenericModule.App.ApplicationPort2)

Thank you for helping me get this working! I really appreciate your help.

That RAM seems pretty low

Also it seems others are experiencing issues with the new crossplay option - not surprising given the shift to a new networking backend

1 Like

As Greelan said, this is a common issue right now. Nothing AMP can fix unfortunately. If you want to keep using the server without crossplay for now, go to Configuration->SteamCMD & Updates and for the Release Stream enter default_old and then change your client to the same if you right click the game in Steam, Properties, then under Betas.

It’s a bummer, but you just have to wait it out for a patch from the devs.

Yeh, I made this server as a test with only a little ram so it didn’t cost as much. It doesn’t seem like the limited ram is causing the problems at this point though.

You may have all found this already, but I found a fix to this on a subreddit. Installing these libraries seemed to do the trick:

apt-get install libpulse-dev libatomic1 libc6

2 Likes

Brandon_Hood, I have tried everything adn nothing works. Due to your comment, it finally works!

Previously, with crossplay enabled, I noticed the console said:
New session server "Nate's Valheim Server" that has join code, now 0 player(s)

so it was a blank join code… After installing those packages and rebooting my server, and launching the game server again inside AMP, it says:

Session "Nate's Valheim Server" with join code 1xxxx6 and IP 4x.xx.xx.x4:2456 is active with 0 player(s)

Gamepass for Windows 10 PC friend joined via IP and Steam friend joined via IP :slight_smile: All is working great now! Can I buy you a coffee for your helpful comment??

Hey, that’s great! I’m glad it was able to help someone.