Update Failure with Valheim - Valheim: Malformed Data: Settings Manifest is invalid

System Information

Field Value
Operating System Linux - Ubuntu 24.04.5 on x86_64
Product AMP ‘Proteus’ v2.8.0.8 (Mainline)
Virtualization None
Application Valheim
Module GenericModule
Running in Container No
Current State Stopped

Problem Description

Issue

I’m to the point of giving up and trying a different program since this really isn’t working. I’ll not I use Starlink internet if that has any effect on things. I have no idea what else to even try as every other resource I’ve looked into has been exhausted with no progress at all. The full error message it this: “Could not complete action. Malformed Data: Settings Manifest is invalid.”

Reproduction Steps

  • Attempt to create instance
  • Manage Instance
  • Click Start with no real reaction from the instance.
  • Update button does not actually update it and just provides the error message from the summary.
  • I’ve performed extensive troubleshooting on my own machine, templates, and any other concerns with ubuntu to no success.
  • I also tried updating from the main instance list menu with no change at all. Prior attempts to update templates makes no difference.
  • I tried alternative ways of installing but no success.
  • Checking the File Manager does nothing as it’s basically empty.

Hi Gerrit.
One thing you could try is checking the latest AMP_Log file in the file manager. That should give some more details about what’s going wrong. If it doesn’t, you can try changing the value of Configuration > System Settings > Monitoring and Metrics > Logging Level to 000 - Debug, trying the action again, and then viewing the AMP Log.

I thought I would also mention that with Starlink internet, port forwarding is impossible, so accessing your game server externally will require tunneling.