Update Failure with Minecraft - Bedrock server fails to update and start

System Information

Field Value
Operating System Linux - Debian GNU/Linux 12 on x86_64
Product AMP ‘Decadeus’ v2.4.6.10 (Mainline)
Virtualization Docker
Application Minecraft
Module MinecraftModule
Running in Container Yes
Current State Stopped

Problem Description

Issue

Hi, I understand that there is an ongoing issue with bedrock servers. I tried to troubleshoot on my own using other user’s tickets found on the support boards and I haven’t had the same success. I’ve installed libssl1.1 and I’ve followed the instructions at this ticket: Startup Issue with Minecraft - Minecraft bedrock instance won't start after update - #3 by Mike. After following these instructions I ran into the same issue. I went back to my dashboard and found that the instance wasn’t set to Development in the settings so I set it manually there and updated it again. I still have the libssl1.1 error and I’m not sure how to move forward from here. If I need to attach some logs please let me know. Thank you!

Reproduction Steps

EDIT: I ended up recreating the instance entirely based on some information I found in the Discord server. I think I had updated before going to the development branch of the instance and it basically made the instance stuck and unable to update. After creating a fresh instance and following the steps from the link above I was able to import my world backup and get it working. The only issue now is that the development instance doesn’t seem to have the backup feature available. I think I’ll get around this for now with a cron job but I would love to know if this feature will come back if anyone knows.

I am also experiencing this issue, the instance is running in Docker however so I would expect the docker image to contain the necessary dependencies.

EDIT: I ended up recreating the instance entirely based on some information I found in the Discord server.

What information did you find? I’m happy to create a fresh instance if it works. I did try to create a fresh instance, but the problem exists on that one too.

Additionally how did you transfer the world from the broken instance to the new one?

Oh I’m happy to list my steps here. The information is sort of spread out through a discord thread and it would be pretty messy to copy and paste.

• While on my instances screen I went to Configuration > New Instance Defaults and then changed the Default Release Stream option to “Development”. This is only temporary for creating the new instance and I changed it back to mainline later with no issues.

• Then I went through the process of creating a new instance but instead of letting it start the instance I set the “After Creation” setting to “Do Nothing”.

• Next I went inside the instance and pressed update for the instance not the server. I’m not sure this is necessary but I did it anyway to make sure I was on the latest development branch.

• Then I pressed update for the Minecraft server itself. In my experience, you don’t want to let the server turn on during any of this process otherwise you’ll get the error and have to start over. The thread was very clear that you need to update first.

• This was the most crucial point and where the discord came in handy. You need to wait a short time before starting the server. I waited about a minute before pressing the Start button.

Once I got it running I had no problems changing the configuration settings like I normally would and I still have it going today. My only issue I’ve noticed other than the backups not being available is that the scheduler doesn’t seem to work- like at all. I’m trying to set it up to only be on during certain hours and it doesn’t trigger at all so if you’re looking to do something with the scheduler you may be out of luck.

To transfer the world I let the server do it’s first time setup so I had the appropriate folder structure since I’m more familiar with how Java is organized than Bedrock. Then I took a backup that I had of my world from my previous instance and manually copied it over into the new instance and letting it overwrite the existing files and folders. I personally had to do this through the Connect to SFTP option with WinSCP that you can find in File Manager since I had a lot of trouble getting the online File Manager to work. I had a downloaded copy of my world and uploaded it through WinSCP that way.

Once its all copied over and the old default stuff is gone, you will need to right click on the server.properties and click the “Import Configuration” option to make sure your old server settings come over. I’d still double check them because sometimes some settings don’t make it over with the import like whitelisting. The process is very similar to the recommended method found here: How to import an existing Minecraft server into AMP. Just ignore the step about changing the server’s jar file. If your backup is another amp instance then you won’t have copied over another jar and you wouldn’t want to anyway since we just updated to the latest version.

If you have any issues I’m happy to help you troubleshoot on discord since I was able to get mine going.

Thanks! I got a new instance up and running. TBD on copying the world over, been busy. Hope to report good news later tonight.

Very frustrating to have to do this weird ‘hacked’ fix. When the real issue appears to be a broken updater, but appreciate a community solution! :heart:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.