Unable to Install / Update Factorio

OS Name/Version: CentOS

[root@goku ~]# uname -a 
Linux goku.ecansol.com 4.18.0-305.19.1.el8_4.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Sep 15 15:39:39 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Product Name/Version: (Always use the full version number - not ‘Latest’)

[Info] AMP Instance Manager v2.2.1 built 24/09/2021 17:48
[Info] Release spec: Release - built by CUBECODERS/buildbot on CCL-DEV
Instance ID        │ 8bf654b0-6d8d-4a03-9dbc-493c2706c0aa
Module             │ Factorio
Instance Name      │ ECAN-Fac-Van
Friendly Name      │ ECAN-Fac-Van
URL                │ http://127.0.0.1:8088/
Running            │ Yes
Runs in Container  │ No
Runs as Shared     │ No
Start on Boot      │ Yes
AMP Version        │ 2.3.3.4
Release Stream     │ Mainline
Data Path          │ /home/amp/.ampdata/instances/ECAN-Fac-Van

Instance ID        │ ffd7585a-8d37-4514-aca5-af56059fffb7
Module             │ ADS
Instance Name      │ ECANADS
Friendly Name      │ ECANADS
URL                │ http://127.0.0.1:8080/
Running            │ Yes
Runs in Container  │ No
Runs as Shared     │ No
Start on Boot      │ No
AMP Version        │ 2.3.3.4
Release Stream     │ Mainline
Data Path          │ /home/amp/.ampdata/instances/ECANADS

Problem Description:

Cannot install / update factorio get web message

Unable to complete task
This task could not be completed: Updating Factorio Server - - State: 3.

The SSL connection could not be established, see inner exception.

Here are the logs, after turning log level to 0 / debug as suggested

[10:48:09] [Core:Anonymous Debug] : Login request from session 36ee3522-815f-465d-8834-562761b63aa7
[10:48:09] [RemoteAMPAuth:Anonymous Activity] : Authentication attempt for user admin from 127.0.0.1
[10:48:09] [RemoteAMPAuth:Anonymous Debug] : Logging in via remote auth server http://localhost:8080/...
[10:48:09] [RemoteAMPAuth:Anonymous Activity] : Authentication success
[10:48:14] [API:admin Activity] Â Â : Updating the application.
[10:48:14] [Factorio:admin Info] Â : Fetching version data...
[10:48:19] [RunningTasksManager:admin Debug] : Task Updating Factorio Server () failed: The SSL connection could not be established, see inner exception.

Actions taken to resolve so far:

As outlined above I have turned debug logging on, but it provides no useful information.
I have also synced certificates but that made no difference.

I have tried to get the Factorio update URL with wget as the amp user on the affected system and it pulls it down fine.

I have been trying to get help with this on Discord for almost 3 days.

I am a license holder and have paid for this product and not being able to use it, or get prompt responses for support are very frustrating.

Other instances with other games update fine with no problems.

@Mike

Try running ampinstmgr --sync-certs.

The problem is that for some reason your system does not trust the https certificate being used for the Factorio site.

I have done that already, but will try it again.

[amp@goku AMP_Logs]$ ampinstmgr --sync-certs
[Info] AMP Instance Manager v2.2.1 built 24/09/2021 17:48
[Info] Release spec: Release - built by CUBECODERS/buildbot on CCL-DEV
[Info] Certificates have been synced.

This did not change the web error, or log file output.

I can wget with no SSL errors from command line, so if the system did not like something wouldn’t it complain about it with wget?

Thanks,
Matt

Can you try configuring the instance to run as a Docker instance?

Got this when I tried to chang it to docker

Unable to complete task
This task could not be completed: Configuring Instance - Configuring ECAN-Fac-Van (ECAN-Fac-Van)... - State: 3.

Failed to configure new instance ECAN-Fac-Van - Startup failure: Docker returned error code 1

Deleted instance, created new, never started it, turned docker on:

Unable to reconfigure instance
Startup failure: Docker returned error code 1
[11:35:24] [Core:admin Info] Â Â Â Â Â : Emulate Docker CLI using podman. Create /etc/containers/nodocker to quiet msg.
[11:35:24] [Core:admin Info] Â Â Â Â Â : time="2022-06-10T11:35:24-04:00" level=error msg="XDG_RUNTIME_DIR directory \"/run/user/0\" is not owned by the current user"
[11:35:24] [InstanceManager:admin Warning] : Failed to configure new instance ECAN-Fac-Van2 - Startup failure: Docker returned error code 1
[11:35:24] [APIService:Anonymous Warning] : Access denied: You do not have permission to use this method (ADSModule.GetInstances) at this time. This method requires the Session.LoggedIn permission. (Origin: 162.208.6.165:59105)

You need actual Docker installed rather than the Podman that CentOS ships with.

If you don’t have anything else on the system, I’d actually recommend moving away from CentOS and over to Debian.

Yes it’s on the ‘roadmap’ but I need a bit of time to prep for it and am waiting for some Networking and SD-Wan stuff to be setup. Will get actual docker on there now.

Thanks,
Matt

Run the setup script for AMP but append installDocker to it.

Well I’m on CentOS 8 so it seems my primary issue is I need to switch to CentOS 8 Stream since 8 was heavily bastardized.

Working on all that now.

UPDATE: Apparently CentOS 8 is so bastardized it was causing the whole problem. Just converting to CentOS 8 Stream and no docker has allowed it to update. I don’t understand why everything else was working fine, but fixed is fixed.

Thanks,
Matt

1 Like

Glad it’s all working for you. We may actually say that Stream is the requirement going forward.