Trying to setup a Valheim Server on a secondary PC

Note - If you do not fill in every section below, your post won’t be answered - you must provide the steps you have followed so far and the actions you’ve already taken. Make sure to remove this notice from your post too.

OS Name/Version: Windows 10 Pro 64

Product Name/Version: AMP 2.3.2.12

Problem Description:

I am trying to setup a dedicated server for Valheim and completely a noob. I can’t log in, I think I have everything setup properly in the AMP interface, but not 100% sure. When I try to connect to the IP it displays it spins and attempts to, but Failed to connect is the outcome every time.

See the following guide on diagnosing connectivity issues: Diagnosing Connectivity Issues · CubeCoders/AMP Wiki · GitHub

So when I do the Firewall step I get a red [Error] I require root/admin access to do that!

Open up an admin command prompt to do that.

I get no new firewall rules to add and no existing firewall rules to remove

Did you check the existing rules as per the guide to make sure the ports for Valheim were there?

If so then you need to continue on to the next step and check your port forwarding rules.

So I paid for your software, so I didn’t have to do all of this manually, this doesn’t make it easier at all and I am still having issues… I’ll just pay some server hosting website and chalk this up as a loss…

AMP just manages the game server. Any home hosting requires setting up port forwarding.

In very simple terms, like talk to me like I am a 2 year old, how do I set this up?

That’s outside of the scope we provide since it’s not part of AMP - but there’s no shortage of tutorials on the subject. You probably just want to look up “Port forwarding” followed by the make and model of your router. You need to forward the port that Valheim is running on (5678 UDP) to your servers internal IP.

We are hoping to automate this in a future update with compatible routers but that’s a little while off yet.

so I am in my routers management page. what Server IP do I use there?

You use your servers (the machine you installed AMP on) internal IP address. You can check this by running ipconfig on the command prompt.