Minecraft - Can't keep up! Is the server overloaded? Error

System Information

Field Value
Operating System Linux - Debian GNU/Linux 12 on x86_64
Product AMP ‘Callisto’ v2.5.0.10 (Mainline)
Virtualization Docker
Application Minecraft
Module MinecraftModule
Running in Container Yes
Current State Ready

Task

Can’t keep up! Is the server overloaded?

Problem Description

Issue

The server starts without a problem, but the TPS is 10 and the CPU gives sudden ups and downs all the time so it causes a lot of lag, I need to fix this, but I have tried everything and I don’t know how to fix it

Reproduction Steps

• First I start the server
  • Everything is fine, it starts
  • When a player or even without a player starts on the server, the CPU starts to go bad and TPS drops to 10
  • Gives the following error: Can’t keep up! Is the server overloaded? Running 26579ms or 531 ticks behind

This could be various issues:

• What specifications are you running your instance with?
  • Are you running modded?
  • Any jobs running in the background that could be taking up a majority of your resources on that node?

Hello and thank you for your feedback:

• It has 8 GB of RAM, 2-core processor.

• Yes, I have around 39 mods, but these were going well a few days ago, since this happened suddenly yesterday.

• I think or at least I don’t know if there is any background process.

This is rather a small amount of resources to run a modded server with. From experience, it may start fine, but you’ll start to get a bottleneck once the world expands especially if you have users actively exploring. Not to mention, all the mods also have their own resources running with the server which if not immediately overtime will cause lag on little resources given to the instance.

Hope this makes sense!

So the only way to fix that is to increase the server’s resources?

That would be a good start, yes.

You mentioned in your previous post that things were going well for a few days; perhaps another try could be testing a new world and see if the problems persists.

You can also just install the Spark mod on the server, then run a profiler to see what mods are using up the most resources.
Also make sure you’re using a reasonable render distance (8-12), given that MC is mostly singlehthreaded.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.