Customization with ARK: Survival Ascended - Switching the "Use Mods" exits with code 3

System Information

Field Value
Operating System Windows - Windows Server 2022 on x86_64
Product AMP ‘Callisto’ v2.5.0.4 (Mainline)
Virtualization HyperV
Application ARK: Survival Ascended
Module GenericModule
Running in Container No
Current State Stopped

Problem Description

Issue

I’m able to get the server started, but as soon as I check the box for “Use Mods” and try stopping/starting the server I get the following error:
This task could not be completed: Starting ARK: Survival Ascended… - - State: 3.
Application stopped unexpectedly with exit code 3.
This occurs whether or not I specify any mods to use, but not specifying this setting allows the server to start up fine. I’ve tried hitting update in the instance but that just verifies the game install. I checked the logs under ark-sa\logs and I don’t see any errors there. I’m guessing I’m just doing something wrong, but I’m not sure what.

Reproduction Steps

• Configured Ark Survival Ascended instance and started it up for the first time
  • Stopped server, went into Configuration > ARK Server Settings > Use Mods and set that to enabled
  • Attempted to start server and received return code 3 error message
  • Attempted Update on ASA server instance
  • Attempted to start server again and received same error message

Quick update - I was able to get the mods to download on startup by keeping the “Use mods” to disabled and adding a command line flag for the mods I wanted to start the server with.

I just went thru this myself and I see you have not had a response. I was able to successfully restart my server from a ‘day 231’ failure.

If you have not figured it out or given up already, the issue seems to be with using the Use Mods in the server settings. If disabled the instance would restart no problem. This of course will bork your game because it dumps anything modded. After loads of searching for info and trying command line flags, .ini loads etc., I tried this:

1. Locate your backup .ark files and make a copy of the most recent working and rename it to protect it from overwrite.
  2. In AMP Server Settings, Turn on Use Mods and cut (CTRL-X) all entries in the Mods List. Now Paste them in a separate text file for easy reference. Use this time to remove any mods you don’t need from your list.
  3. Load a single or few mods (if you use many) at a time back into the Mods List and start the server.
  4. If it loads, stop it and add a few more, repeat step 3 if successful. If it does not start at some point, test the last mod(s) added by loading one at a time and see which one is the offender. Exclude any failing mods from the list and continue loading.

If you successfully get it working, congrats! But there is additional work to do.

Aftercare…these steps will depend on your saved world and current state.
In my scenario, I was well established with a base and many tames. Here’s how I got it all back in two cheat codes:

1. Stop the server again.
  2. Go back to the backup .ark files. The file you used to re-load the mods with will not be used. Rename it or remove it since it will have loaded several times without the mods and would potentially result in lost structures/dinos, etc.
  3. Locate the copy you made in the first step and rename it to the original ( in my case TheIsland_WP.ark)
  4. Restart the server and login.
  5. As Admin, enable cheats and perform a few necessary cheats to regain ownership of things that may have changed:
    a) cheat takeallstructure - Ark TakeAllStructure Command | Ark IDs
    b) cheat takealldino - Ark TakeAllDino Command | Ark IDs
  6. Done, you should now have ownership of your stuff again. If there are other players/tribes you will be able to assist them with additional cheats.

Hope that helps!