Configuration with Enshrouded - High load and poor performance with resources to spare

System Information

Field Value
Operating System Linux - Debian GNU/Linux 12 on x86_64
Product AMP ‘Decadeus’ v2.4.8.0 (Mainline)
Virtualization Docker
Application Enshrouded
Module GenericModule
Running in Container Yes
Current State Ready

Problem Description

Issue

The game is running very badly, with frequent messages about high load. The server is around 70% load during these times, and should have resources to spare. RAM usage is low, and far from being an issue.

I did read about someone having similar issues, where migriting to a proton based container fixed the issues.

As an aside not, the metrics, apart from memory usage are entierly innacurate. Active users are dead wrong, always showing 0 users, and CPU usage is often wrong by 10x the amount, 5% often means 50-60% usage.

Reproduction Steps

• Restarted the application
  • Rebooted the AMP server
  • Assigned more CPU and RAM resources to the AMP VM. This did not change anything.

I am experiencing the same. I experience lag with myself being the only one on the server that has 4 CPUs and 16Gb of ram. Add another person and it becomes entirely unplayable spouting about high server load. There never registers a user on the console nor anything more than .1 ram utilization and zero CPU.

System Information

Field Value
CPU Model Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz
System Type x86_64
Platform Ubuntu 22.04.2
Product AMP ‘Decadeus’ v2.4.4
Virtualization Docker
Application Enshrouded
Module GenericModule
Running in Container Yes
Current State Ready

Reproduction Steps

(Same As above)

• Restarted the application
  • Rebooted the AMP server
  • Assigned more CPU and RAM resources to the AMP VM. This did not change anything.

From what I understand, this is an issue that everyone is experiencing running this game in Wine on Linux. It isn’t an AMP specific problem. However we are experimenting with different versions of Wine to see if anything can be done. For the time being the only real option is to use AMPs docker mode to limit its impact on the rest of the system.

Although the CPU load is certainly an issue, even at around 70% load, which i get when there are players connected, the game gets unplayable.

I would be happy to test any other configurations/containers.

From what I’m reading as well, this is true. Does AMP have the ability to use PROTON instead of wine? That appears to be the method others are using to get around this.

1 Like

The latest version of the config is using Proton already. Make sure to update the instance configuration and you’ll be using Proton.

1 Like

This is what I get when I’m updating it.

Upgrading instance Enshrouded01
Using cached archive: /home/amp/.ampdata/instances/AMPCache-Mainline-2440.zip
wine8: Pulling from cubecoders/ampbase
Digest: sha256:116332665c11b7d123fe30cdbdf90db1f4d0e4122da63c346dcd21e831f6b27d
docker.io/cubecoders/ampbase:wine8

I have 4 cores thrown at it with 16Gb of ram. it seems to not be using it all but the CPU load shows ~ 45-50% usage. The load avg on the box shown by top hovers between 3.5 and 4 with 2 people on it.

edit
I apparently can’t post anymore because I’m a new user -
I did a refresh configuration and it is now working. I had one other person on with me and it didn’t tank like it did before. I will update here when I have more people than that on.

You need to do right click - Refresh Configuration

I’m guessing you mean right-click update?

That did update to use proton it seems. Idle load is significantly lower, so is load with one user. Latency is also much lower.

Unfortunately I am unable to test with more players right now.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.