AMP Instance Memory

Note - If you do not fill in every section below, your post won’t be answered - you must provide the steps you have followed so far and the actions you’ve already taken. Make sure to remove this notice from your post too.

OS Name/Version: Windows Server 2016 / 14393.rs1

Product Name/Version: (Always use the full version number - not ‘Latest’) V2.3.2.10 (just updated)

Problem Description: When using AMP to start my Minecraft server it uses 45gb of ram all the time sometimes 43 when I set limit to 40. But when switched to 80gb it states 85GB is being used up. But in reality Task Manager states only 4gb of ram is being used. Ever since this started the server has had dramatic lag in game.

If you're sharing console output, logs, or commands you have run, please make sure to use code tags 
(3x backticks for blocks, 1x backtick for a single line) to help make posts readable. This also
provides syntax highlighting.

Steps to reproduce:

• Step 1 - Started on AMP
  • Step 2
  • Step 3

Actions taken to resolve so far:

Tried on Java edition .bat start. There were no issues but I am unable to change the ram higher than 4gb. The usage was only at 2gb though.

Tried updating AMP and updating instances. Tried changing the Memory usage to low and high numbers. Always stayed higher than what I stated it for.

Googled the issue.

If you set the Java virtual machine to have a 40GB heap size then the virtual memory pool will be that large plus some overhead, which is what AMP is reporting. This is normal and expected. Making the VM memory size too large can actually decrease performance. Generally speaking you don’t need to go beyond 16GB even for large servers.

If you turn on the extended process metrics, you’ll see the memory usage divided up (And give you a better clue about what size you should actually use) You could also use the “User Friendly process metrics” option.

1 Like