AMP Backups cause high amount of cache in RAM

OS Name/Version: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Product Name/Version: v2.4.6.6, built 05

Problem Description:

I am currently running an MC Forge server running a custom modpack.

I have backups scheduled every 6 hours. Whenever AMP takes a backup the RAM usage on the VM goes up by the size of the backup.
Using htop on shows that no process is actually using the RAM and that most of it is just cache, presumably from the backup process.

Steps to reproduce:

Run a server
Take a backup
don’t profit

Actions taken to resolve so far:

• restoring a backup for AMP from a point in time where I know this didn’t happen
  • using sync; echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches on the VM clears the cache and “fixes” the issue, but I don’t want to run a command every time I take a backup.

Will I be forced to reinstall AMP or is there anything else I can do?

Thank you in advance for any replies

If it’s just caches then by definition you don’t need to worry about this, because the cache will be cleared automatically as soon as a process actually needs that RAM. The cache gets filled up because AMP is reading every single file. There’s no problem and no action needs to be taken. If the memory usage of AMP itself isn’t increasing then it’s not a memory leak.

Well, yeah makes sense but it is still kinda a problem since I am running multiple vms on my system and the cache still counts towards the ram usage of the vm in proxmox limiting the amount other vms can take.

Are you perchance using ZFS as the filesystem in the VM?

No. I am not.
Is there any way to maybe tell AMP to run the command to clear the cache once a update finishes?

No, but you could just use a cron job to run it periodically. But this will cause some performance issues.

Ok, I thought so too, but that is outside of AMP. Will mark this as answered.
Thank you for the quick replies and for your time.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.