"Active Users" Indicator Does Not Report Any Value Other Than "0"

OS Name/Version: Ubuntu 20.04

Product Name/Version: AMP Enterprise Version 2.4.0.8

Problem Description: Minecraft Java 1.16.5 / Forge – After successful instance creation, and once the instance has been accessed by players, the “Active Users” indicator never shows more than “0” users.

Steps to reproduce:

• Install Minecraft Java instance, Version 1.16.5, with Forge
  • Do not install any Forge Mods
  • Start the Instance and Update
  • Have users log into the server
  • Visually monitor the “Active Users” Indicator
  • Observe no activity on “Active Users” Indicator

Actions taken to resolve so far:

• Deleted instance, then recreated instance without Forge
  • Noticed that problem persisted.
  • Searched Discord and Discourse. Found one record from 2019 which was unresolved.
  • Entered this entry in the hope that after several years a resolution might have been discovered.

AMP tracks active users by watching the log messages that come past. Some Minecraft mods/plugins alter those messages to the point that AMP can no longer recognise them, and as such the user tracking breaks.

The fix is to remove any mods/plugins that alter player join or leave messages from their standard format.

Good Day,

Fresh install of Minecraft 1.16.5 with Forge and no mods installed. In the console I can see the standard player join/left messages, so I am not understanding why this is not registering with the “Active User” status. This is unacceptable.
Would you please direct me to where I can find the code for this function. I’ll see if I can find someone to write a patch or something for our enterprise roll-out. I have to fix this, or remove “Active Users” status display from AMP.

Regards,

RJ Butler
PlayerSpaces, LLC

The code is not accessible - if it happens with a ‘plain’ forge server than I can look into it.

Can you confirm that the server is also not in offline mode? Player tracking doesn’t work for offline mode servers.

We run Minecraft in offline mode and manage user authentication via a mod. I changed the mode to online, and this does result in a working “Active User” status. It would have been great if the Enterprise licensee were given the choice of supporting offline mode servers, just as the server software itself, via the server.properties file, offers that choice. I know the support of offline use is a hot-button issue, so is there a way to disable the display of the “Active User” status in the panel? This way, if we remain with AMP, we can simply relegate the display of active players to a mod function managed by each server owner?

Indeed the player list can’t work with Offline mode because there’s no output with the UUIDs. You could use a custom theme to hide it:

#AMP_Core_MetricsDisplay .DisplayMetric:nth-of-type(3) {
    display: none;
}

So, I can modify one of the existing themes, like “Black” with the suggested CSS change, or clone the “Black” theme to a new theme, and make the changes there?

I’d suggest you make a new theme with just that line in. You’ll be left with the original ‘blue’ theme but you won’t risk having some breaking change.